Look Me in the Eye: Portraits of Kansas City
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
Look Me in the Eye: Portraits of Kanas City (runs Sep 15 thru Nov 29, 2019) is a juried exhibition of portraits by artists who live or work within a 60-mile radius of Kansas City. We expect to exhibit work by at least 50 area artists who will each receive a printed exhibition catalog.
The Kansas City area is a much more diverse community than many realize, and this exhibition intends to acknowledge that. The Epsten Gallery seeks portraits of people of all ages, ethnicities, and genders for this exhibition.
Application Fee: $15.00
Please note some very important information regarding getting your work to us at Village Shalom: 5500 West 123rd St., OP, KS 66209
1. There is a great deal of construction going on, and currently our south entrance is closed. During the hours listed below, please call either Anne at 816-560-3435 or Danielle at 573-883-6838 to let us know you are dropping off your piece(s). We will give you specific instructions of how and where to drive, so that we can meet you curbside and help you.
2. The hours for drop-off are:
- 11am to 5pm Thursday, August 15 through Saturday August 17
- 11am to 5pm Monday, August 19 through Friday August 23
- By appointment Saturday August 24 through Friday, August 30 If you need to come during this week, please call for an appointment.
3. When you drop off artwork, you will be asked to sign our log. We will give you a receipt and the long version of the Cafe call information for your records. Please don’t leave a piece unattended – it must be received by myself or Danielle.
4. The opening reception for the show is on Sunday, September 15th from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the gallery. PLEASE let me know if you will be able to attend. We will have some refreshments and would like to be able to plan accordingly.
5. Also, please let us know if you want to send email show invites out. You can either send me the emails to whom you’d like them sent, or I can send you the invitation electronically, and you can send it out. (It won’t be ready until next week.)
Thank you for your assistance, we are looking forward to working with you!
- Work must be a portrait by an Area Resident. Area Resident means anyone living within 60 miles of Kansas City including the following counties: Douglas, KS; Johnson, KS; Leavenworth, KS; Linn, KS; Miami, KS; Wyandotte, KS; Bates, MO; Caldwell, MO; Cass, MO; Clay, MO; Clinton, MO; Jackson, MO; Johnson, MO; Lafayette, MO; Platte, MO; Ray, MO
- Work should be 2D.
- Photography and digital print submissions are discouraged.
- A brief bio, artist’s statement and CV are required along with at least one and not more than three images of your work and non-refundable fee of $15.
- Accepted artwork must be shipped ‘installation ready’ unless otherwise noted in the acceptance letter.
- Our preferred standard for 2D installation is hanging wire, D-ring, or cleat.
- Only Plexiglas should be used in framing (no glass framing) for shipped 2D artwork. We cannot guarantee against breakage and damage to the artwork if glass if shipped.
- The Epsten Gallery reserves the right to reject accepted work at any time; including work that differs significantly from the submitted images or is inadequately prepared for installation.
- Each artwork must have a label attached on the back or bottom of the pieces containing the following information: Artist’s name, title of piece, media, date of completion, sale price (or if NFS, the insurance value).
- All works will be handled with the utmost care and respect by The Epsten Gallery. The Epsten Gallery is not liable for artwork during transportation to or from the gallery. The Epsten Gallery is not liable for damages caused by insufficient preparation or construction of physical works during the exhibit run.
- The Epsten Gallery reserves the right to refuse coverage to artwork with inherent difficulties, high values, or that is deemed unstable. By entering into this show, the artist agrees to abide by all rules and details established in this call.
- Accepted works must remain on exhibit at The Epsten Gallery until the exhibition closes.
- The Epsten Gallery will retain a 40% commission on all sales made as a result of the exhibition.
- The Epsten Gallery reserves the right to use images of the Work for educational and promotional purposes including but not limited to newspaper, television, radio and internet.
- Artist may be asked to submit a high-resolution image of the accepted Work and a clear image of the artist’s face for such purposes.
PRINTED EXHIBITION CATALOG
The bio and statement of each accepted artist and work will be published in a printed catalog documenting the exhibition. One catalog will be provided to each artist in the exhibition. Additional catalogs may be purchased from The Epsten Gallery for $20 each plus shipping.
SALES & COMMISSIONS
Work accepted for the exhibition need not be for sale, but if accepted work is for sale and is sold by The Epsten Gallery, the gallery will keep 40% of the price and remit 60% of the price to the artist by December 15, 2019.
SCHEDULE AND DELIVERY:
- The Epsten Gallery
5500 W 123rd St
Leawood, KS 66209
- July 19,2019 – Deadline to apply to this call
- August 1, 2019 – Notification of accepted work.
- August 15-31, 2019 – Artist must deliver accepted work to The Epsten Gallery / 5500 W 123rd St / Leawood, KS 66209 / (913) 266-8414.
- Artwork must have a label attached on the back or bottom of the pieces containing the following information: Artist’s name, title of piece, media, date of completion, sale price (or if NFS, the insurance value).
- Please do not deliver work earlier than Aug 15. Late or damaged shipments will be returned collect.
- Please arrange delivery Tuesdays through Saturdays between 11 am and 5 pm or by appointment: call (913) 266-8414.
- We prefer that accepted work be hand-delivered by the artist, but we will accept shipments on the condition that work is shipped PREPAID in substantial, reusable packing cartons with repacking instructions. (NO Styrofoam peanuts).
- September 1-10, 2019 – hang the exhibition
- September 15, 2019 – exhibition opens to public
- November 29, 2019 – exhibition closes
- December 1-7, 2019 – pack artwork back in original shipping material
- December 8-14, 2019 – artwork which was hand-delivered may be picked up at the gallery Tuesdays through Saturdays between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. or by appointment: call (913) 266-8414
- If return shipment cannot be completed, or if works are sent without return shipping provided for, or if hand delivered works are not picked up, The Epsten Gallery will dispose of the work(s) in any way it sees fit without liability or further notice to the artist or lender.
- December 15, 2019 – deadline for payment for sold work to be mailed to artist.
ABOUT THE JURORS
Elisabeth Kirsch is an art historian, curator and writer who has curated over 100 exhibitions of contemporary art, American Indian art and photography, locally and across the country. She writes frequently for national and local arts publications including KC Studio and The Kansas City Star. Learn more at kcstudio.org/author/elisabethk
Mike Lyon is a full-time artist based in Kansas City whose work is typically portrait or figure. His work is in the collections of many museum, public, and private collections. Lyon’s work and unique studio practice have been featured in numerous publications including “Post-Digital Printmaking: CNC and Digital Methods” by Paul Catanese & Angela Geary, “Modern Printmaking” by Sylvie Covey, “Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop” by April Vollmer, and “Silverpoint and Metalpoint Drawing: A Complete Guide to the Medium” by Susan Schwalb & Tom Mazzullo. Learn more at mlyon.com
Please don’t hesitate to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the gallery (913) 266-8414